Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Ides of March are in my head before St. Patty's Day 2012

It didn't really hit me till today. I'm getting married in 2 days. And it hit me on the Ides of March, which is kind of scary, but indeed I am getting married in two days. That's Holly and I in the picture to the right of this sentence.

It will be a huge step in my life, that will be quickly followed by law school graduation in May, and the Texas Bar Exam in July. 2013 will have it's work cut out for itself, if it wants to top my 2012.

On another note, I applied for the Order of the Barristers at Texas Wesleyan School of Law. It is a group that is recognized nationally for excelling in oral advocacy during their time in law school. So Mock Trial (trial level), Moot Court (appellate level), and ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution, pre-trial) champions around the country apply for a limited number of spots with their school. Texas Wesleyan limits their number to 10. This has me nervous despite my big regional win for excelling in negotiation (and I doubt I'll have a chance to negotiate myself a spot!).

The general formula is 4 from Moot Court, 3 from Mock Trial, and 3 from the ADR program. However, during my time at law school the Moot Court and ADR teams have all been very exceptional, and the Mock Trial program has suffered (mostly due to a lack of consistent coaching). We have several regional champions in ADR, and a national champion. We have a regional champion in Moot Court, and they have nationals soon. And that's not counting the many other competitions unrelated to ABA competitions.

Where I will suffer is my GPA (B-), and my lack of competition at other schools in other categories. I did some intramural mock trial, and one moot court. Those picking will look at things like that when everyone who applies has a championship under their belt.

Anyway, I felt the need to address the fact that I am worried about actually winning. I hope I do, because it would be a huge resume builder, despite the fact I have trial experience in real life and have already been offered a job because they think I'm a legal all-star. Anyway, I may write another blog Saturday before I get married. It will be my last blog as a single and awesome Captain Awesome...

No comments:

Post a Comment